Our Attorneys Jeremy R. Summerlin
Trial Lawyer / Shareholder
Jeremy R. Summerlin joined the Horton Law Firm in 2016 as an employment lawyer and civil litigator before becoming a shareholder in 2018. Prior to that, he spent several years at the Law Office of W. Andrew Arnold, P.C., representing employees and small business in a variety of employment and business litigation matters. As a Trial Lawyer with the Horton Law Firm, he continues to represent employees and business in legal disputes. He takes pride in empowering workers who were wrongly terminated, harassed, or experienced discrimination on the basis of age, race, pregnancy, disability, medical condition, or religious bias.
Mr. Summerlin also represents executives and employees in all non-compete and employment litigation. This includes claims involving whistleblowing retaliation, severance agreements, employment contracts, wage theft, unpaid overtime and minimum wage violations under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and sick leave under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Mr. Summerlin also practices in the area of personal injury and in the area of residential construction defects, representing homeowners and injured clients throughout South Carolina.
Mr. Summerlin received his undergraduate degree from Bob Jones University and his J.D. from the University of South Carolina School of Law. During law school, Mr. Summerlin was an active member of the USC Mock Trial Bar. He also served on the Editorial Board of the ABA Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Journal and was Vice President of The Federalist Society’s chapter at the law school.
As a lifelong Greenville native, Mr. Summerlin was excited to return to his hometown after finishing law school. Since joining the Greenville legal community in 2013, Mr. Summerlin has maintained an active role in his community, including serving as a board member for the Greenville Literacy Association, serving in the South Carolina State Guard JAG Corps for several years, and assisting at his local church, Mitchell Road Presbyterian Church.
Visit Jeremy’s Blog on Minimum Wage and Overtime Issues: TrueOrFLSA.com
Connect with Jeremy on LinkedIn
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
University of South Carolina, J.D.
Bob Jones University
- Greenville County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Greenville Literacy Association, Board Member (2019-present)
- Young Lawyers Division, Publications Committee (2018-2020)
- South Carolina Association for Justice, Member (2014-present); Section Head for Employment and Labor Law (2018-2019)
- South Carolina State Guard JAG Corps, 1st Lieutenant and EEO Officer (2016-2020)
- Chairman, North Greenville Medical Campus Community Advisory Council (2018-2019)
Honors & Awards
- Rising Star for Employment &Labor Law, South Carolina SuperLawyers (2018-present)
- Legal Elite for Employment and Labor Law, Greenville Business Journal (2018-present)
- Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell (2019-present)
- South Carolina Young Lawyer, May 2020, “Was Han Solo an Independent Contractor or an Employee of the Rebel Alliance under the FLSA?”
- South Carolina Young Lawyer, May 2019, “Does the Rebel Alliance’s Suspicious Procurement of the Death Star Plans Render It Liable under South Carolina’s Trade Secrets Act?”
Jeremy Summerlin’s Practice Areas
Testimonials Real Stories From
People We’ve Helped
I have had nothing but great experience working with Horton Law Firm. They handle both my personal and business attorney needs. I highly recommend them.